Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Hello from Pellegrini

I have to mention a few things before Lawrence's letter. First off, our grandmother passed away last week. It was not sudden or unexpected, but still, of course, very sad. The rest of the family was able to be in California for the funeral, and it was a very good experience for all involved. My dad called Lawrence's mission president to find out how to best tell Lawrence the news. President Lindahl spoke with my dad for a good ten minutes, and had nothing but good things to say about our favorite missionary. He said that he loved having him in the offices, and that he knew he had to send him out into the field, but was sorry to see him go. He said that he was right up there with all of his employees, and would hire him where he works at the drop of a hat (his wife may or may not read this blog...correct me if I'm wrong, Sister Lindahl! :). It turns out that President Lindahl was a missionary in Uruguay while my dad was there visiting. It was neat for my dad to be able to speak with him so long, and he seemed to hold Lawrence in very high regard. He said that he would have Lawrence call us, and we were all thrilled to be able to talk to him, even if for a few minutes. In the excitement of getting to speak with him, we all kind of forgot the purpose of the phone call. Lawrence didn't, however, and was unusually somber. The last time he saw our grandmother, she was in much better shape than she has been for the past year or so. He remembers her quite a bit more active and vibrant, so it was probably very hard for him to hear. Luckily his mission president had already told him the news, so he didn't have to wonder why he was calling. My dad read the following letter to the people who came to a luncheon after the funeral.




Dear Family,
Thank you all so much for your love, letters, and support!!! I've been thinking a lot about Grandma this week. I'm glad Mom and Aunt Linda were there to help her through her hard time. It's truly a blessing for us to know that we can see Grandma again and to know where she is right now. I'm sorry to miss the funeral but I know that I'm where the Lord wants me right now. It reminds me of why the Gospel is so important and why everyone needs to know this "good news" which is what the word Gospel means. This has been an interesting week for a lot of reasons. We have two investigators committed to be baptized on July 11th and we had our first sacrament meeting together with Bowen yesterday. They rented a driver to bring their investigators since Bowen is about a half-hour away by bus. They also celebrated Father's Day by giving all the fathers dulces with malta. I've got to go right now but I'll probably write a little more later. I love you all!!! Bye!!!
Love,
Elder Williams

No comments: