Sunday, February 3, 2008

A Post From Elder Williams Himself!

Well, after doing a good job of forgetting to write on my own blog I finally sat down this evening and decided to write a post (after being reminded by my sister Lisa who was kind enough to provide this blog).

With the recent passing of our wonderful prophet President Gordon B. Hinckley I feel especially blessed to have been able to receive my mission call before he left for his Heavenly Father. While I'm leaving for a mission among the living, he's already left for a mission among those on the other side of the veil. I know it will always be a great blessing to be able to say I lived during President Hinckley's time as prophet. I testify that Gordon B. Hinckley was a prophet just as Joseph Smith was a prophet. Their work is the Lord's work which is the mission of this His church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I am honored to be able to assist in that work for 2 years as a missionary for the church. I only wish it could be longer. I will grow more during the next 2 years than I have for the past 19. One of my religion professors at school mentioned that a mission is like a tithing of the first 20 years of my life. Interestingly enough I'll be getting home after my 21st birthday, indicating that I'll need to continue serving the Lord even after my mission.

I'm really excited to be going on a mission. For all the Savior has done for me, 2 years is the least I can do for Him. There are billions of people out there in the world who don't have the gospel in their lives and are missing out on countless blessings and unimaginable joy because of it. Every person on this Earth is a child of God and they deserve to know who their Heavenly Father truly is and how much He loves them. I get to be His messenger and share His message of love while I'm on my mission.

I know this church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, really is Christ's church and is the only true church on Earth. I know that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ really do love me and want me to return to them. I have such a loving family and a loving ward and both have contributed significantly to where I am today. I know that without the strong spirit that both of them bring I might not be preparing for a mission right now. Joseph Smith really did see God and translated the Book of Mormon through His power. The Book of Mormon contains the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ and it can draw me closer to God by following its precepts than any other book. I have read the Book of Mormon and I personally know that anyone who follows Moroni's advice by reading the Book of Mormon and praying to know of its truthfulness will receive a testimony of it. Throughout my mission I hope to spread these truths and my testimony of these truths and I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments: