Monday, October 19, 2009

New Area and Companion

This is the picture of Cristian Lopez on the day of his baptism. We didn't all figure out to do a group picture so one picture is half of my district and the other picture is the other half (and because I realized I had never taken a district picture).


The Villegas family as I was saying goodbye

The view from our front door in Rivadavia. We live on the second story of a small apartment complex (four apartments).

First let me say this is the fastest Cyber Cafe I've ever been in which is why I'm sending so many photos. Ok, the first photo is the beautiful sunrise we get to wake us up every morning in my new area.

Next is Elder Rios with Elder Rios (I'll explain in the letter).

The last photo is of my last Branch Council in Pellegrini.

This lovely stream is actually our gutter but it looked really great in this picture.


Dear Family,
Thank you all so much for your letters, love, pictures, and prayers!!! I’m here in Rivadavia B, San Juan!!! It’s really amazing here especially because of how hard the ward works here to help us. Our ward mission leader (technically he was just called a week ago to the stake so he won’t be our ward mission leader as soon as they call a new one) was waiting for me with my new companion, Elder Rios. My first week here we already had a baptism! His name is Cristian Lopez and he lives in a town called La Bebida (the Drink literally). His wife was baptized a while ago as well as two of his daughters but he never had much interest in the church. As time went by he started learning more about the church and made some major changes in his life. He decided to be baptized this past Saturday and was confirmed yesterday. He also received the Aaronic Priesthood yesterday and will be baptizing his daughter Gema this coming Saturday. We also have the Espejo family who also lives in La Bebida (we have a lot of people from that neighborhood) who’s been progressing greatly. They’ve been reading in the Book of Mormon and say it’s brought a huge change in their family. They don’t argue like they used to, the family actually spends time together, and they feel there’s a lot more love between everybody. It’s nothing short of miraculous.
Our ward here works really hard to help the missionaries, making sure we have lunch every day, washing our clothes, and even accompanying us to appointments with investigators (of course they still say it’s easier to feed three Hermanas instead of 2 Elders). There are at least 6 ward missionaries and now 5 full-time missionaries so the ward is doing very well. We had over 70 people in church last Sunday which is pretty big for a ward here. We start with Priesthood and then end with Sacrament meeting which makes it pretty interesting as well. Also, yesterday was Mother’s Day here in Argentina so Elder Rios got to call his family. His parents had to call at least two missionaries, both their sons, which is even more interesting because they’re both in the same mission! Elder Rios and Elder Rios are actually both in San Juan. The funny part is that I met my companion’s brother before I met my companion since the brother was in GuaymallĂ©n when I was in Las Heras which are right next to each other. I thought I was going to be companions with the brother so when I got to the terminal in San Juan my first thought was “that’s not Elder Rios!” We’ve got a really good area, a really good zone, and I’m just glad I’m in such a good mission. The Wal-Mart is actually only a few blocks away but more important is the Grido ice cream which is even closer :) . Our area technically affects the entire rest of the mission actually. In our area is a city called Zonda which Mom might know about for the infamous Viento Zonda. It’s a hot wind that comes from the hills in Zonda and actually makes it all the way to Pellegrini, in the far south area of the mission. It’s just kind of a novelty to think the infamous wind is all because of our area :) . It’s been blamed for everything from really hot weather, to cancer (yeah, it’s kind of the scapegoat for everything).
Oh, I almost forgot question time! Julie: “So did you know that Argentina qualified for the World Cup?” I did actually (mostly because everyone keeps telling us how close they were to not qualifying). Mom: “Elder Williams will you please wish me luck and hope that I got a good grade on my test?” I will! “We also need to know what you want to register for, so we can do it for you.” If you look on BYU’s website (Lisa or Julie might be able to help you find it) there’s a section that lays-out all of the classes I need to take for my degree. I think it even explains which classes should be taken when so that’s probably the best place to look for which classes I should take. Lisa: “Isn't that funny?... Not too shabby, huh?... Wouldn't it be awesome, though, if somehow, some way, they played each other [the Angels and the Dodgers] in the world series?” Yes to all of the above.
Ok, I’m just about out of time but I hope you all have a wonderful week and I love you all!!! Bye!!!
Love,
Elder Williams

No comments: