Monday, April 28, 2008

Getting into the Swing of Things

Dear Everybody,

I can't belive it's already my second P-day here in Argentina! It's really interesting adapting and eating all of the amazing Argentine food. It was really warm in the afternoons lately but today's a little cold so I can't figure out if we're really going into a real winter yet. I also found out this week that I only get my snail mail every six weeks and I have yet to get any mail here. I guess even DearElder only comes every transfer too. E-mail will probably be the only way I can send messages quickly. For me to send a letter costs 4 pesos which is like $1.33 so I don't know how often I'll be able to do that. My companion got a package just a little while before I came and it cost him over 104 pesos to pick up so I'll probably be fine if I don't get any packages. Besides, I have Alfajores :) . Plus, a few people said we could find peanut butter at the Super Vea but we haven't found any yet. We have found Dulce de leche so we're quite happy. I'm still hoping to hear from Mom to see if she knows anyone in San Martín. Tomorrow I'm going on splits with an Elder from a different area and I'll be working in his area. That will be interesting. He also doesn't speak English so I'll have some good Spanish practice tomorrow. Right now we're working with a number of people. One guy works at an ice cream store and he's never home so we teach him in the ice cream store with his girlfriend. He keeps commitments and really wants to learn so we have high hopes for him. Coming up we're having a stake conference with an Area Authority who'll be speaking. It'll be fun to go to that and meet the stake a little bit. Also, with Mother's Day quickly approaching I have an interesting dilemma. Since it's only been a few weeks since I last called home, I was thinking about moving the phone call to August around the time of Jennifer's birthday party so there might be more family home to talk to. Tell me what you think about that or if you want me to just call home. We still haven't received any details about the phone call so I don't know how it's going to work. It sounds like I'll just have to e-mail you the plans as soon as I get them. Zone conference is also coming up this week, Thursday I think. President Avila will come down for that to talk with everybody and I'm excited to talk with him again. Elder Parry keeps telling me how amazing he is. A little while ago, President Avila came down to work with Elder Parry and his companion at the time, Elder Flake, and he helped them learn how to teach better and find people on the streets. It'll be interesting when President Lindahl comes down to see if anything changes. We'll probably have a General Authority come down when our presidency changes so I'm excited for that too. I'm guessing BYU already had graduation right? How did that go? Did anyone go by the MTC to wave even though I wasn't there anymore? Has anyone I know received a mission call yet? I guess I haven't really been gone that long yet and Dillion Brock will probably be the next one to put in mission papers. Has the MTC returned any mail I would have received after I left the MTC? I can't wait to hear from everybody. I'm sorry I forgot to bring my camera this week. The internet's really slow in Argentina or at least at these internet cafes so I might not be able to upload the whole picture. My companion shrinks his pictures whenever he e-mails them so I might have to do the same. I probably won't be able to send too many pictures at once either. I actually haven't had many opportunities to take pictures so I might just spread out the sending of pictures if I don't have time to send them all at once. The members have us over for lunch fairly often so that we don't have to cook too much for ourselves. All the food here is amazing and I wish I could just ship it all home so I won't have to give it up when I get home again. I'll have to see if I can get any recipies for when I get home. We get bread from the panederías all the time which is something else I'll miss, but it's ok because I still have time to enjoy fresh bread all the time. Well I'll let everyone go since I can't think of much else to write about. I love you all and I hope to hear from you soon, bye!!!

Love,
Elder Williams

~~~~~

Dear Lisa,

I'm a missionary! Sorry I ran out of time last week. I have a little more time this week since I finished early. How are you? Things are still going well here in Argentina even though practically no one has a computer, but it's ok since I'm not supposed to use other people's computers while I'm on my mission. It's interesting though. It makes me excited to finally install my Windows Vista when I get home. We'll see how that goes. Thank you again for taking care of my missionary blog. I'm interested to see how it looks when I get home. I wish I could bring pictures of the chapel and everything in San Martín so you could see it. Every building has all hard floors like tile but the chapel's very cozy. No one plays the organ though and I keep wanting to learn how to at least play the melody so the ward could have that. It's weird singing hymns without music in sacrament meeting. The power cord for the organ's locked in the bishop's closet so it's never there to try practicing if we had time inbetween church and lunch. Oh and you might be interested in knowing that the speakers in this internet cafe are playing a Jack Johnson song right now. They play a ton of American songs and it's always surprising to go from that to people speaking Spanish again. It's definitely a different culture here but it's a nice one. Every so often cars go by with huge megaphones on top advertising fruit or more recently the arrival of the Catholic Bishop and the local Catholic church. Last Sunday we finally finished the last confirmation for the Farrando Family. Santiago Jr. missed church the Sunday before so he had to wait for this Sunday to be confirmed. It was really nice and he had fun in Primary too which is excelent. The Primary had an activity the day before that he went to and made friends. There's still a number of family members younger than eight that are waiting for baptism so I think that family has a bright future ahead of them. Oh, also good news, for Abrir La Bocas (basically talking to people on the street) my companion and I had the highest companionship total for the district which made us pretty happy. Now if we could just get our investigators to commit to a bautisimal date things would be even better but we're looking for everybody who's ready to follow Christ into the waters of baptism. It's exciting to be a part of this work. We get to go out and save lives spiritually and sometimes even physically. Well I got to get going for the rest of P-day so have an amazing week! I hope to hear from you soon, bye!

Love,
Elder Williams

No comments: