Sunday, April 6, 2008

Just One More Week in the MTC!

We are still working on the problem with the scanner cutting off the tops of some of the pages. What are we going to do these next two years without Lawrence's exceptional technology skills? I typed in anything that was missing. This letter was dated April 1st.







Dear Family,

Thank you so much for your letters, love, and encouragement. The mission is still indeed going very well. I'm definitely coming along in Spanish because my English is starting to get messed up. We may have to write these letters in Spanish pretty soon. I just got back from the temple and I just felt so happy the moment I walked in, I suddenly forgot anything I could worry about and get excited for the experience I have in the temple. The temple really is the House of the Lord. I hope you have the opportunity to go to the temple often but if you don't have the oppportunity you might need to make an opportunity. I am incredibly blessed to have a temple so close though. I'm so grateful for that. Just as I can do missionary work for the living while I'm on my mission you can do temple work for the dead and help them to share in the wonderful blessings of this the Church of Jesus Christ.

I had another interesting experience in the Referral Center (RC) yesterday. I called someone to make sure they had received the video they requested and he had, but he was only interested in seeing how the video portrayed Christ and not in learning about our church. He finally admitted he'd seen some Anti-Mormon YouTube videos and he wanted to know if it was really doctrine from our church. I'd never been so bold in my life in answering his questions and testifying of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. I used scriptures and with the help from my teacher Hermano Allard asked questions and taught him about the Book of Mormon. Hermano Allard had me commit him to read from the Book of Mormon, particularly starting in 3 Nephi 11, and committed him to pray to know if it is truly the Word of God. The man said he would and I pray that he really does. Please pray for him as well, that he will really read the Book of Mormon, pray about it, and receive that testimony promised in Moroni 10. I know if he takes Moroni at his word then he truly will come to know that the Book of Mormon is true. Thank you for your help and support.

I'm so glad to hear that the man you talked about, Dad, has started reading the Book of Mormon. It will be hard for him getting used to the older language and the Isaiah chapters won't be much easier but if he prays about the Book of Mormon his work will be blessed and he will have a greater understanding and a testimony of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon. Tell him to keep up the good work and think about how he feels as he reads the Book of Mormon. Could this book have been written by Joseph Smith? It is God's book. So much sacrifice has gone into getting the Book of Mormon into our hands. Satan has thrown everything he could at it from the Book of Mormon times to what Joseph Smith went through today. I'm so grateful for the Book of Mormon and the powerful tool it is.

That's great that you were all able to see one of Mom's old mission companions. It will be awesome when I get to say hi to Elder Earl again and I know I'll have some other great companions while I'm on my mission. I'm not allowed to go on the family website since it's not on the approved list but if one of you speak in General Conference I'll be able to look that up :). Just be sure to write President Monson now. Well I'm off to do laundry and all that good stuff. Thank you so much for the addresses so I can finish my thank you cards (I only have 4 left to write), Have an amazing, spectacular, stupendous week and I'll talk to you again soon.

Love,

Elder Williams

P.S. Supposedly I'll get to call home when I get my flight plans and while I'm in the airport.

P.P.S. (because I just got Jennifer's letter) I haven't received a letter you wrote at mutual yet, but sometimes the mail's a little slow. It's indeed good to have a clean closet and I'm sure DI is appreciative of your donation. I'm glad to hear my room's being put to good use. I'm just surprised it was the less dusty one. Congratulations on your new glasses and your new ability to drive! I think you're supposed to wait until you've done all three behind-the wheels before you can drive with Mom and Dad but...um...yeah. Keys are indeed fun to have. I miss my keys. That's awesome that Belinda and Jazlyn are going to youth conference. They will have an awesome time. I think I'd be pretty excited if George Lucas said hi to my camera. President Monson's cooler though :). You'll have to ask me Star Wars trivia questions to keep me ready for Mr. Sammy Knapp. Church for me isn't terribly different. We have Sacrament Meetings, Priesthood a little later, and as District Leader I'm basically also the Sunday School teacher. My teacher wasn't actually there when Lisa said hi so I don't think he minded. Thank you for your Dear Elder, Jennifer!

I just wanted to add that I got a letter from Lawrence this weekend that mentioned how he'll be leaving in a week. If nothing changes, he will fly out on Monday, the 14th. He said that they don't forward letters from the MTC to Argentina (probably because of the difference in postage), so if you want to get him one last letter, send it soon! I believe that if you send him a DearElder.com letter, it will get to him that day or the next, depending on when you send it. Please be reminded that once he gets to Argentina, you can still send him DearElder letters, just remember to send them to his mission, instead of to the Provo MTC. The letters will still be free, because of the wonderful Pouch mail system. And anyone who knows Lawrence knows that he will be glad you didn't have to part with any cash to get him a letter :)

One last time...here is Lawrence's MTC address:

Elder Lawrence Williams
MTC Mailbox #91
ARG-MEN 0414
2005 N 900 E
Provo, UT 84604-1793

No comments: