Friday, May 8, 2009

Life as a Senior Companion

Dear Family,
Thank you all so much for your love, support, letters, and prayers!!! This week has been my first week as a trainer and it's been an awesome experience. My nuevito reminds me a lot of me when I first started the mission, when I had lots of questions and was still learning how everything works in the mission. It's been pretty different as well since this is the first time I've had a Junior Companion. All of my other companions have been either my Senior Companion or we've been co-Senior companions together. Now whenever we go out to work I'm in charge of where we go and what we do. Whenever we start planning my new companion will look to me asking what we should do for the next day. It's definately a calling that forces one to step up to bat and get ready to hit. He's from El Salvador and his name is Elder Guevarra (as in Che Guevarra...no relation whatsoever). He's really excited to work and really wants to serve well. He's actually my 9th companion so I might just beat Mom in number of companions: Elder Parry, Elder Cabrera, Elder González, Elder Maxfield (for 5 days), Elder Miles, Elder Salmon, Elder Stevenson, Elder Swainston, and Elder Guevarra. It's also already over a month since I left the offices which feels really weird. I've had to go back to the offices a couple of times for various things like Elder Swainston having to see the nurse, looking for baptismal pants, and now I have to go tomorrow so I can pick up papers for my companion's Argentine documentation. I should also be getting my Argentine DNI (Documento Nacional de Identificación) booklet finally tomorrow. It's all pretty interesting. Where I am right now in Las Heras we're pretty much in Downtown Las Heras since we have the Plaza Las Heras right smack in the middle of our area. In reality there's a couple wards and branches in the "Departamento de Las Heras." The don't really have citys so much as departments as they call them. We're just north of Godoy Cruz and Downtown Mendoza. Technically there is no city of Mendoza but what is understood to be Mendoza includes Guaymallén, Godoy Cruz, and Las Heras.
Sorry I wasn't able to write yesterday but we had several Zone activities with the Guaymallén Zone so we didn't have time to do all of the P-day preparations we needed to do. Today we started work extra early because we have an investigator who has to work mornings and afternoons but is available at 9:00 AM. We had to run straight there and then come back and take our clothes to be washed. Finally right now, still in the morning, we have time to write our letters so here we are. Our lesson today was really amazing because our investigator really opened up and explained how badly they need the healing power of the atonement. They talked about how they have gone to several churches but have never felt satisfied or that their necessities were satisfied but that the Mormon friend was there when they really needed help. They feel they'll find the answers they need in this church. The Spirit was really strong. Also this morning we went to a member's house to bring him to see Rodolfo another one of our investigators. He couldn't come since he had some prior commitments that he had forgotten about when we last talked but said he'd be available in the afternoon. Unfortunately Rodolfo isn't available often in the afternoon. Afterwards we went to the house of Rodolfo and the wife answered the door and said that he wasn't there but would be there that afternoon! ¿Qué tal? So we called back Luis (the member) and he said that was excellent and then his wife invited us over for lunch for tomorrow :) . Well, things are going well and I'm always excited for all of the experiences I've been having every day. Thank you again for everything and I love you all!!! Bye!!!

Love,
Elder Williams

P.S. I'm really excited for Mother's Day and the phone call :)

No comments: