Saturday, February 13, 2010

Special Day

Today is February 13, 2010. Exactly two years ago, we dropped off our missionary. A son to some, a brother to others, and an uncle to my little boy, who was barely 1 at the time, we knew we would miss him a great deal, and we thought two years would crawl by. Here we are two years later, and we only have a few more days to go. We are making plans, and can barely contain our excitement that soon our whole family will be together again. I can't believe we've finally made it! Here is the last handwritten letter we got from Lawrence. My mom transcribed it so it'd be easier to read. Look forward in a few days to pictures and a review of the 17th!
Dear Family,
Thank you all so much for your letters, love, e-mails, prayers, packages, pictures, and support!!! This is probably the last time I'll send a hand-written to ya'll so I should make it a good one. There's even a slight chance that I arrive before this letter does. Everyone says that a two year mission flies by and I have to agree with them. I never thought I would be this close to the fateful day of February 17th 2010. In about a week or two I will be giving the infamous "farewell testimony" that the old missionaries have to give in their last Zone Conference. I still remember when I was giving the "welcoming testimony" as a young missionary. I can't imagine what I would give to go back to that moment knowing what I know now. Young missionaries see their missionary call as "24 months, no fewer" but older missionaries see "24 months, no more."
I understand the Lord has plans for my future. If the future wasn't going to be better, I imagine He wouldn't have sent me to Mendoza, Argentina. There are many good things I could have done with 24 months but there is nothing like the best thing I could have done which is serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Here in Rivadavia has been a culmination of what I've learned so far. As any missionary at any time, we must learn to use everything we've learned up until this point in our life, from the day of birth until now, in order to bring souls unto Christ. There may be many missionaries from many faiths all trying to bring people to Christ but we can "open the doors of the celestial kingdom to the sons and daughters of God. No one else can do this" as Elder Oaks said on page 9 of Preach My Gospel. We work the way we do because this is the true labor of Christ. No one is paying us to be here and no one is forcing us to be here. The blessings, though, for being here, are incredible.
In every area I've seen miracles that seem to be "once in a lifetime." Ricardo and Maria had waited years for a divorce and when they had finally received it and got married they had lost contact with the church. In that time we happened to contact Maria working at some else's house at a time when she would have been inside all day. Right when she had the feeling she should sweep outside, a missionary appraoched her with his broken Spanish and that's how I met her. Sure enough, and after great sacrifice on their part, they were baptized. Ricardo once worked 24 hours driving an ambulance, ending 2 hours before church started, yet still arriving for sacrament meeting and the following two hours of classes. That's an example of sacrifice.
Oscar, in San Ignacio, had been learning about the church for decades but in the first few weeks after the transfer decided to be baptized. He had read "Jesus the Christ" cover-to-cover which very, very few investigators ever do. He knew a great deal about the church but for some reason, in spite of his testimony, he waited many years for his baptism, but he was indeed baptized. I imagine those first missionaries decades ago might have thought their seed had died. I've learned that the Lord has a different time table than man and preserves those seeds for when they are finally ready to grow, whether it be today, tomorrow, or after this life.
Luis Espinosa taught me another example of patience. We found him because he had put a sign on his door that says, "We are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints." He wasn't a member but while waiting for divorce papers he knew the blessed day of baptism would one day come. Sure enought that day came. Luis had the honor of being baptized by his son who has served a mission and been sealed eternally to his wife in the temple. It was hard not to see how touched Luis was. He wanted so bad the blessings that many members practically receive at birth. We can reach our goals, even when they take years to achieve, and our work is worth it.
Nancy had a life that would emotionally destroy just about anyone. She had to pass through trials o fire that no one deserves but as much as that fire might have burned, it cleansed her. She was ready for a great change in her life. I've never heard again what she told us, "Ill be baptized whenever you want me to be." She could have hardened after all of her trials but instead she had her heart softened to the only Gospel that would heal the damage that had been done. She applied Ether 12:6 before even knowing it existed. Her faith will take her to unknown glory.
Yessica and Marisol lived in such humble conditions that even the poorer members in our ward often told us how sorry they felt for the Villegas family. Even in these circumstances they fought to earn their living and provide for the family. I'll probably never have the experience of fighting the family turkey in order to provide food for the family. While us city folk had little to no success, Yessica artfully went in and grabbed the bugger by the legs. It shows that anyone can survive any economy if they work at it. Walking kilometers to church, Yessica and Marisol made it to church and were baptized, following the example of Yessica's Mom and Marisol's aunt, Luisa. I bet they'd have some good stories to share with the pioneers.
Here in Rivadavia, after making incredible changes, members of the Lopez and Espejo families have been able to enter the waters of baptism. Many of the converts in Rivadavia have had such a change of heart that their old friends barely recognize them. If God can part the Red Sea, rain fire from heaven, raise the dead, heal the sick, give sight to the blind, hearing to the deaf, and mobility to the lame, I want you to know He can give humility to the proudest person. Moving a mountain seems easier than moving the will of the proud but God can do it and has done it. Even the deepest addiction can be the weak thing made strong. The Lopez and Espejo families have stepped out of the sorrows of the world and into the light. The next time proud man thinks he's strong, he should shine the brightest light he has at the sun to see what happens and to compare.
I can't imagine what I could possibly have done for 24 months that would even compare to this experience. This is a preparation for life that I wish lasted longer but preparation is worthless if not applied. The time is soon to come when I'll have to use everything I've learned from birth until now to live a better life while helping others to do the same.
This is the only church of Jesus Christ with His prophet and The Truth. I have done His will and I know this doctrine is of God. I love you all and I have you in my prayers.
Love,
Elder Williams

1 comment:

Jacque said...

What a beautiful letter. What a beautiful testimony. Lawrence is a special young man. It's great to read his letter and see that he understands so much. I know how excited all of you are to have him come home.