Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Giving the pavement the beating of its life

Dear Family,

Thank you all so much for your letters, love, pictures, prayers, and support!!! I love hearing about all that's going on in all of your lives and I hope to keep up the same e-mailing tradition after the mission. I feel like you've all been here every step of the way, sharing the same experiences I've been having and letting me in to your experiences. I was thinking the other day that when I see you all in the airport it's going to feel like we haven't been that far away for very long. When I think it's been about two years I just don't believe it. It's hard to understand how fast two years go by until they're gone. I haven't been thinking of the end of my mission under my own free-will really. When we get together with other missionaries, like today, everyone asks "so how does it feel to be almost home?" or "isn't it crazy that in two weeks you'll be home?" I've also been refered to as the "oldy," the "nearly-dead," and the "already-home." While we were waiting in line at the supermarket a random man was trying to walk by and politely asked to be excused as he passed by, saying "permiso, viejo" which means "Excuse me, old man." Supposedly that's not entirely uncommon in Argentina but it was still kind of funny as everyone looked at me and basically said, "you are an old man." As Monty Python and the Holy Grail would say, "Well I can't just call you 'man.'" It's been funny...but it will be even funnier when I beat the living daylights out of the next person who calls me old...just kidding :) ...but seriously >:) . In better news, we've been finding some good new people lately. We met a lady named Silvana who is the sister of Maira who are both the daughters of Susana. We met Susana in the street and then went to her house and gave her grandson a blessing. Maira ran into the Sister Missionaries in the street and then the Sisters told us to go by and we ran into Silvana who is the mom of the child who received the blessing! All of this was coincidence interestingly enough. We had no idea they were all in the same family, under the same roof, until we arrived and started teaching them. Then it all became apparent and we were convinced that we had to be in that house. The baby we'd given the blessing to about a month ago is now looking happy and healthy which is just another testimony of the power of the priesthood. I'm happy to have known the family. For P-day we played Ultimate Frisbe in the park and had half of our fun getting the frisbe out of the trees. We all had a good time :) . From there we went to the Libertad Hipermercado (instead of a supermarket it's a hypermarket, like really, really big) for lunch and bumper-cars and there we ran into a bunch of Elder from the other zone in San Juan. Elder Rios and Elder Wetzel were there too. It was good to see them and talk to Elder Wetzel who is a big Jeep enthusiast :) . You can probably tell what I talked to him about. Well, I'm already out of time but I'm looking forward to your e-mails next week, the last time I'll be able to check them. Just remember that on February 13th this e-mail might suddenly drop-off from existance so be prepared. I love you all!!! Bye!!!

Love,

Elder Williams

No comments: