Monday, November 9, 2009

It's "Más cerca Dios de Ti" not "Nearer My God to Thee"

Before you read this, I want you to direct your eyes over to the right...under the pictures of Lawrence and Elder Rios. Look at the countdown...we are under 100 days! Woo hoo!!



Dear Family,
Thank you all so much for your love, letters, support, prayers, and pictures!!! First of all, I wasn't thinking about going home which is why I changed my mind from sending "God Be With You Til we Meet again" to "Nearer my God to Thee." Julie indeed guessed right, but only partially. The surprise (it's not that big or life shattering really) is that I can play several songs on the piano, including the two aforementioned hymns, but with both hands!!! Elder Sander in my second area (way back when in San Ignacio) told me where the notes are on the page and where they relate to on the piano. From there I found, note-by-note, where the notes from various songs are and slowly started practicing. That's probably almost a year and a half ago when I started practicing and now I've learned a handful of songs, though most of them one-handed. We have 2 Elders and 3 Hermanas in one ward and yet I'm the only one who attempts to play the piano. I've played for Priesthood, Baptismal Services, and they're thinking of asking me to play for sacrament if the other lady in our ward doesn't show up. Every time we're in the chapel waiting for a meeting to start or for lunch I love practicing the piano and learning a new song. I can't wait to practice more. Suddenly the piano sounds so much more beautiful. Wow, Julie guessed right off the bat what the surprise was so I didn't have enough time to make you all wonder for weeks and weeks.
Well from there I'll move right into question time:

Julie:

"Did Lisa send you a picture of Allie and Jake?"

Yes, they looked so great in their costumes.

"Also did you know that Dave is a direct descendant of Hyrum [Smith]?"

I didn't know but that makes quite a church history family. Future children will be direct descendants of both.

Mom:

"It's that time of the week again and here we have just 100 more days to go! Is that your big surprise?"

I was actually looking on the cellphone calendar the other day and when I found out it was 100 days I just cringed. From other Elders I found out that they send the itinerary pretty early so I figured ya'll already had it.

Lisa:

"Do you have any questions for us??"

Um...the only thing I can think of is, has anyone tried Windows 7 yet?

"What is your favorite thing to eat in Argentina?"

Probably pastel de papas (shepard's pie), empanadas, and alfajores.

"What do you miss the most about the US? Don't say us, even though we KNOW that's the answer :)"

Probably having my own ("own" being a relative term) computer to use but I don't miss it that much.

"What is your favorite ice cream flavor in Argentina?"

There's a flavor called "Brownie" which has brownie bits with dulce de leche and sometimes banana. It's amazing.

"Do they have dulce de leche granizada in Argentina?"

They do! It's always the first flavor that runs out since everyone loves it.

Well, I'm already out of time but next week I'll send pictures of the dam we visited today. It's really beautiful and amazing because San Juan is mostly desert so any water is beautiful and amazing. I love you all!!! Have an excellent week!!! Bye!!!
Love,
Elder Williams

No comments: