We received this letter on January 5th. Lawrence actually ran into some people who knew my mom during her mission there!
This is Elder Lambert. He heard about the family’s Christmas gifts and decided to give me this shirt in honor of the occasion and since I couldn’t play…and yes I’m going to get my hair cut today.
Thank you so much for your e-mails, love, support, and letters!!! Things have been pretty interesting as usual here in the offices. I also have some interesting news. I was talking with a lady who lives in my new ward of Trapiche and I mentioned that Mom had served a mission here in Argentina. She said, “Well, I’ll talk to my mom and I’ll see if she remembers an Hermana Williams.” I then said, “well back then she would have been the Hermana Beigh.” Her eyes got all big and she said “Hermana Beigh!!! I know Hermana Beigh!” Her name is Graciela and her maiden name is Espinosa. She’s the youngest in her family and said she was about 10 years old when Mom was in Lujan where she used to live. Her sisters’ names are Patricia and Ellie. She said she looked online for missionaries who had been in her branch when she was younger but that she could never find Mom. She even remembered “Lorraine? No…Lorrie!” She still remembers hanging out with those “cool” sister missionaries when Mom was here. I guess that brings the total up to 2 people who really remembered Mom. She said she’d bring pictures when we come by next so I’ll bring some pictures of Mom and I’ll bring Mom’s e-mail address (if Mom doesn’t mind). It’s really funny too because this Sister from church is one of two members of the church who always come with the new missionaries to get their Argentine paperwork taken care of. I guess I never really struck up a conversation with her. I’m glad I started getting to know the members of my new ward as fast as possible. She said Mom’s companion at the time might have been an Hermana Molina so we’ll see if Mom has all of this written in her journal. We’re also in the middle of Zone Conferences so all sorts of interesting things are “coming to pass.” Elder Lauritzen, Elder Miles’s new companion, is starting to get adjusted to missionary life and it’s fun watching his reactions to new experiences. In order to let him try some good Argentine food we took him to Las Tinajas, the giant Argentine buffet and it sounds like he had a good time. Hopefully soon we’ll be able to let him tour more of downtown Mendoza. We’ve been having some good discussions with the members and investigators in Trapiche. Yesterday we helped a member with a flat tire on their car. This is the same member who has given us one of her friends as a reference and it sounds like she wants to be baptized. She wants to wait a while so we’re going to do all we can to help her realize the importance of this message. The gospel is like a giant cake and you can have as much cake as you want. If someone offers you a cake, are you going to say, “well that’s a really nice cake, but I’ll wait a couple of months and then think about eating it.” Wouldn’t it be nice to receive the cake now? The blessings of the gospel are there waiting for us and not just in the fridge :) . All we have to do is reach out and grab them. For many they just need to enter through the door of baptism. There are so many wonderful people waiting for baptism who maybe just don’t understand what baptism really is. It’s one thing to tell everyone, “um, you should probably leave this building,” and it’s something totally different to say, “RUN, THE BUILDING’S ON FIRE!” When we talk about the church and baptism we need to help people understand that their very salvation is at stake and the least they can do is ask God if this really is the truth. If salvation is something even remotely important, I know that God would want us to know the truth about it. I love this church and this Gospel because I know it is true. I know it is true not because it’s easy, comfortable, or just what everyone else is doing. This church is true because we receive the very tools to confront challenges head-on. We need not fear when we know truth is on our side. We need not fear when we know God is on our side. If we can think of no power greater than that of God then there should be no influence in our life greater than that of God. Satan cannot destroy us for God is invincible. We are on His team and in the end, He will win. I love you all and I wish you the best week on this side of the Mississippi!!! Bye!!!
Love,
Elder Williams
P.S. Elder Salmon’s family is having the best week on the other side of the Mississippi…He’s from Alabama…that’s on the other side of the Mississippi right?
No comments:
Post a Comment